8 days – 7 night trekking and climbing. The southern route spreads the climb over three days up and one day down, using two campsites at 3200m and 4200 metres, and mules to carry supplies to the first camp. It starts from Eliköyü, an abandoned village in the foothills and sticks to a ridge for much of the way, thus avoiding the Ulker glacier which careers down the face into deep and jumbled gorges below. The path, though rocky, is clearly marked. Above 5000m are permanent ice fields, so crampons, ice axes and ropes are required. The summit is reached via a long ridge and is no more than a rounded hump marked by cairns
- the tour is available on request
- 8 days – 7 night trek-climb
Accommodation and Meals
- Accommodation: 5 night camping, 3 night hotel; climbers are expected to help pitch/strike their own tents. All tents are good quality dome tents with two doors.
- Meals: Lunches will be picnics. Trekkers are expected to carry some part of the food for lunch. Evening meals in camp will be hot soup or salads, a main course with pasta or rice and fruit.
- 960 € per person. Min 6 max 12 pax. There is a surcharge of 75 € per person for groups smaller than the minimum number. Prices include transfers, all meals, accommodation, guide, transfers, cook wages and mule support. Tea and coffee are included, but alcoholic and soft drinks which are available at camps or restaurants are excluded.
- There will be an official charge for climbing mount Ararat for mountaineering federation $50 usd per person.
- Entrance fees to historical sites and museums are not included.
- Day 1: On arrival at Van airport, you will be met by your tour guide and your driver. We will transfer to our hotel in Dogubeyazit. After checking in we visit the Noah’s Ark and Ishak Pasha Palace. Diner and overnight in hotel.
- Day 2: We transfer to Eli village after breakfast, load the equipment on the mules, climb to 3200 m. campsite. Total walk 2-3 hrs. Camp.
- Day 3: Today we do an acclimatization (getting used to altitude) climb. We climb up to 4200 mt campsite have lunch there and spend some time. Then we return to our camp at 3200 mt. Climb 3.5-4 hrs. Overnight in camp at 3200 mt.
- Day 4: We climb to 4200 mt. camp accompanied by mules carrying the luggage. We pitch tents and spend night at high camp.
- Day 5: We wake up early for the summit climb. If weather conditions are suitable, we climb to the summit (5165mt), using harnesses and ropes, and return to the campsite at 4200 mt.
- Day 6: Extra day, depending on the weather conditions on Day 5, we may make another summit attempt. Otherwise, omit this day. If the extra day isn’t necessary, that day will be spent in Van, and there will be one night accommodation in Van.
- Day 7: We strike camp, load equipment to mules and descend past the 3200 mt camp to meet the vehicle at Eli village. From here we transfer to hotel in Dogubeyazit. Total walk 3-4hrs. Overnight in hotel.
- Day 8: End of trip, transfer to airport in Van.