The 2 week tour is designed for those who would like to enjoy both the beauty of Kackar Mountains and the greatness of Mt. Ararat, according to our clients’ request.
Departure Dates For 2017
- the tour is available on request
- Day 1: Transfer from Trabzon Airport to Ayder. (3 hrs)
- Day 2-6: Trek on Kackar Mountains.
- Day 7: Transfer to Dogubeyazit.
- Day 8-14: Trek-climb Mt. Ararat.
- Day 15: End of trip, transfer to airport.
Trekkers should have a good quality sleeping bag, mat, good quality thick-soled waterproof boots, Gore-Tex or other rainwear, a survival sack, fleece jacket, trousers, hat and gloves, swimwear, crampons, ice axe, hat and a daysack. Snow glasses and sunblock are recommended. Items to be transported by mule should be packed in waterproof bags in a rucksack or soft kitbag.
Accommodation and Meals
- Accommodation: 2 nights in pensions, 3 nights in hotel, 9 nights camping.
- Meals: Dinner in camp consists of soup, main course and salad or sweet or fruit. Lunches are picnics with local specialities. Prices include tea and coffee, but exclude alcoholic and soft drinks which are available at pensions or hotels.
Grade C with Grade D optional ascent of Kackar Mountain (6 hrs). Average daily trek 5-7hrs.
Trekkers carry a daypack containing rain gear, extra clothing, camera, and picnic, etc.
Grade C: Demands a bit of experience and fitness to tackle steep slopes and narrow, stony paths for up to 8 hours per day.
Grade D: For experienced trekkers who can keep up a steady pace for 8 hours or more and tackle some easy scrambling.
Please contact us for detailed information.
- Day 1: Flight from Istanbul (Plane seat bookings can be arranged by Middle Earth Office on your request) Meeting at Trabzon Airport. Transfer to our pension in Ayder, with its hot springs,it is like a heaven. Overnight at the pension.
- Day 2: Ascent from Ayder via Caymakcur pass. 6-7 hrs. Wonderful campsite near the lake where few people go and is nice and quiet. Camp at Buyukdeniz Lake.
- Day 3: Passing to Dobe Duzu via naletleme pass from Buyukdeniz Lake. 5-6 hrs. Nice and high trek with beautiful views of the lakes and streams around. Camp at Dobeduzu.
- Day 4: Passing to Dilberduzu via Pisovit Pass. Nice and high trek with a beautiful view of the Dobe Duzu valley all along the way. 5-6 hrs. Camp at Dilberduzu.
- Day 5: Optional climb to Kackar summit. (3937m) 5-6 hrs. Grade D, we will have to walk on snow for short distances. It is a good day for daily treks around (To the icy Deniz Lake for example) for those who would choose not to summit. Camp at Dilberduzu same as yesterday.
- Day 6: Loading our backpacks to mules and walking down from Dilberduzu to Hevek which is an excellent rest before going to our next summit. 3-4 hrs. Overnight at the pension.
- Day 7: Transfer to Dogubeyazıt. Today we have a long drive we begin from Hevek to Yusufeli, on the way we will stop at Barhal to visit the old Georgian church. After Yusufeli we drive to Kars to see the old Armenian capital Ani. After this visit we will reach Dogubeyazit via Igdır. Overnight in hotel
- Day 8: In Dogubeyazit, visit Noah’s Ark and Ishakpasa Palace. Overnight in hotel.
- Day 9: Transfer to Eli village after breakfast, load the equipment on the mules, climb to 3200 m campsite. Total walk 2-3 hrs. Camp.
- Day 10: Acclimatisation (getting used to altitude) Climb 4200 m campsite return 3200 m camp. Climb 3.5-4 hrs and come back. Overnight in camp at 3200 m.
- Day 11: Climb to 4200 m camp accompanied by mules carrying the luggage. Pitch tents and spend night at high camp.
- Day 12: If weather conditions are suitable, climb to the summit (5165m), using harnesses and ropes, and return to the campsite at 4200 m.
- Day 13: Extra day, depending on the weather conditions on Day 12, we may make another summit attempt. Otherwise, omit this day. If the extra day isn’t necessary, that day will be spent in Van, and there will be one night accommodation in Van.
- Day 14: Strike camp, load equipment to mules and descend past the 3200 m camp to meet the bus at Eli village. Transfer to hotel in Dogubeyazit. Total walk 3-4hrs. Overnight in hotel.
- Day 15: End of trip, transfer to Van airport.
A final list of clients with photocopies of their passports is required at least two months before the departure date, so that we can ensure that permissions for Mount Ararat arrive in time.