This challenging short trek follows the highest and most rugged section of Turkey’s first ever long-distance footpath – the Lycian Way. The route snakes its way above the Mediterranean’s most dramatic coastline of “the Land of Light” Lycia, to the limestone peaks of Mount Olympos, soaring high above the glittering sea. It descends through shady wooded valleys along a 4-km beach past the ruins of the Lycian city of Olympos. It finishes at the spectacular isolated lighthouse on the ridge of Cape Gelidonia.
- walk the most mountainous sections of the Lycian Way
- stare into the eternal burning flames of Chimaera
- relax on the sandy beaches of Çıralı and Adrasan
- stay in authentic village houses and friendly pensions
- walk through cedar and pine forest
- reach the isolated lighthouse on Cape Gelidonia
- swim in the azure blue Mediterranean
Departure Dates For 2017
16 April – 23 April
23 April – 30 April
30 April – 7 May
1 October – 8 October
- Day 1: Transfer from Antalya to hotel in Göynük
- Day 2-7: Lycian Way walks
- Day 8: Transfer from Adrasan to Antalya
Grade C: medium trekking with daypack; ascent of Mount Olympos is over scree and involves some light scrambling. (optional) Demands a bit of experience and fitness to tackle steep slopes and narrow, stony paths for up to 8 hours per day.
Trekkers should have good quality hard soled trekking boots, raingear, swimwear, sunhat, sunglasses and suncream and a 30-40 Lt. daysack. Walking sticks are recommended.
You pack., we take care of the rest!
We transfer your luggage between accommodations between the accommodations while you enjoy your walk. Our aim is to make your holiday more enjoyable. During the walks, you carry your daysack only.
Accommodation and Meals
- Accommodation: during this tour, you’ll stay in a variety of places some in coastal areas with lovely beaches, others high up in the mountains surrounded by trees and pastures. We use a mix of accommodation types: 1 night in a village house (shared toilet facilities). The property is run by a friendly lady who ensures you feel part of the family and the local community. 6 nights in hotels/pensions: You stay in small, local, family-run and friendly hotels and pensions with a personal touch.
- Meals: we love our cooking in Turkey. We believe it is one of the tastiest and healthiest cuisines of the world. During the tour, you will enjoy natural, regional and rich turkish food accompanied by freshly pressed fruit juices, turkish wine, beer or even raki- the famous aniseed spirit. Evening meals consist of a soup or salads, a main course and fruit or sweet for dessert. Lunches will be picnics and trekkers are expected to carry some part of the food, but we don’t skimp on this: our packed lunches are wonderful and we include plentiful trail snacks such as dried fruits and nuts along the way.
More Info About the Accommodation and Meals
On the first night we stay close to the entrance of the Göynük canyon in a hotel with swimming pool.
After the next day’s long ascent you will be welcomed by mr Emin in his mountain hotel with large terraces from which to enjoy the vast views. We will savour the many tasty dishes that are offered during the rich dinner and breakfast.
Our next stop is at the village house in Yayla-Kuzdere where we will be the guests of Sevim. As we enjoy her home-cooking we will learn about the local traditions and life-style in this high mountain village.
After having mastered the high slopes of Mt. Tahtalı (Olympos) the coastal pension in Çıralı is our base for 2 nights. Here we can chill and enjoy the good food, while sleeping only a stone’s throw away from the amazing sandy beach and wonderful swimming waters of Çıralı.
We will spend the final two nights in the next lovely bay along the stunning Lycian coast in a friendly pension in Adrasan. As we enjoy dinner on the terrace we see the Moses Mountain that we have scaled across the deep blue waters of the circular bay.
Price: 680 € per person. Minimum group size 8. For groups under 8 people, a surcharge of 75 € p.p. is added to the price.
Included: all transfers and luggage transfers (also from/to Antalya), accommodations, guide, all meals.
Excluded: soft drinks and alcoholic drinks during meals, tips, entrance fees to historical sites and museums.
Detailed Tour Programme
- Day 1: Arrival On arrival at Antalya airport you will be met by your driver and tour guide. After a 45mins. transfer we will check in at the hotel in Göynük. Welcome drink, dinner and overnight in hotel in Göynük.
- Day 2: walk Göynük – Göynük Yayla (6hrs, 17km) We take a short transfer from our hotel to Göynük canyon and walk uphill all day starting at the gorge entrance and going over switchback ridges underneath green pine trees. We will enjoy excellent views to pastures and orchards. It is possible to swim where the river forms a nice pool near our lunch spot. After our climb we meet our vehicle near a bridge (alt. 850m) for a short transfer to our hotel in Ovacık. Dinner and overnight in hotel in Ovacık.
- Day 3: walk Göynük Yayla – Yayla Kuzdere (5hrs, 16km) We transfer back to where we left the walk the previous day. We trek along high mountain paths and tracks to the village of Gedelme and have lunch at a local restaurant. We will explore the ruins of a Roman castle nearby before walking up to the mountain village of Yayla Kuzdere (alt. 900m) north of mt. Olympos where we stay the night. Dinner and overnight in village house in Yayla Kuzdere.
- Day 4: walk Yayla Kuzdere – Beycik (6hrs, 15km) From Yayla Kuzdere we start with a steady climb up a streambed to the green pastures surrounded by grey coloured rock outcrops of Çukur Yayla, just below Mount Olympos (Tahtalı Dağı). We climb the pass from here (alt. 1950m) through the forest of pines and impressive cedar trees. Then we descend via a winding mule path through lovely forest to the village of Beycik (alt. 900m) where we meet our transfer vehicle that will take us to Çıralı. Dinner and overnight in pension in Çıralı.Day 4 can be changed (weather permitting) into an optional ascent of Mount Olympos summit (alt. 2366m). Then we don’t descend to Beycik, but climb from Yayla Kuzdere to the pass and from there to the top (total 6-7 hours and appr. 1400m uphill). From the summit we take the cable car down to the lower station (ticket excluded in tour price) and transfer to Çıralı. Day 4 can be changed (weather permitting) into an optional ascent of Mount Olympos summit (alt. 2366m). Then we don’t descend to Beycik, but climb from Yayla Kuzdere to the pass and from there to the top (total 6-7 hours and appr. 1400m uphill). From the summit we take the cable car down to the lower station (ticket excluded in tour price) and transfer to Çıralı.
- Day 5: relaxing day around Çıralı After breakfast we make an optional exploration of the ruins of ancient Olympos (total appr. 6km along the beach). After lunch there is free time until dinner. You can swim and lie on the beach or do some other activities (eg. sea kayak). After dinner we make a short night walk to admire the eternal burning flames of Chimaera (natural gas coming from the bowels of the earth in a location called Yanartaş) in the dark. Dinner and overnight in pension in Çıralı.
- Day 6: walk Çıralı – Adrasan (6hrs, 16km) We start directly from our pension in Çıralı and walk through the ancient city of Olympos and up Musa Dağ (Moses Mountain). The climb is through dense forest with many strawberry trees and passes some minor ancient ruins. After having a picnic lunch near an old hut we descend through forest, past deserted farmhouses enjoying the wide views over the large valley of Adrasan before we reach sea level and our accommodation in the beautiful bay of Adrasan. Dinner and overnight in hotel in Adrasan.
- Day 7: walk Adrasan – Gelidonia lighthouse (7hrs, 18km) Our last walk starts directly out of our hotel and leads us south via Kızıl Sırt (alt. 450m) along a very remote and isolated coast line. We follow a switchback route along cliffs overlooking the sea to the lighthouse at the tip of Cape Gelidonia. We enjoy great views towards some little islands all along the route which runs parallel to the sea at a high altitude. After arriving at the lighthouse we walk down to a dirt road to meet our vehicle that will transfer us back to Adrasan. Dinner and overnight in hotel in Adrasan.
- Day 8: Departure Transfer from Adrasan to Antalya airport (2 hrs). End of tour.