July is the beginning of the season in Kaçkar. It is relatively quieter and trekkers have much greater chances of observing more of the wildlife than in the more crowded weeks of August. The wild flowers cover every slope and the snowmelt streams gush in every valley. For those who don’t mind that they will not reach the summit it is one of the best times to visit this heaven on Earth. We will walk from one mountain yayla (pasture) to the other and see glacial lakes, flowers and snowcapped peaks along the way.
Departure Dates For 2017
16 July – 23 July
- Day 1: Meeting at the airport
- Day 2: Visit to Sumela monastery and transfer to Camlihemsin
- Days 3 – 7: Day walks
- Day 8: Transfer from Ayder to Trabzon Airport (3 hrs)
We transfer your luggage between the accommodations while you enjoy your walk. Our aim is to make your holiday more enjoyable. During the walks, you carry your daysack only.
Accommodation and Meals
- Accommodation: 7 nights half-board pension.
- Meals: Lunches will be picnics. Trekkers are expected to carry some part of the food for lunch.
- Price: 760 € per person for 8 days programme
Minimum 8, maximum 12 trekkers. For groups under 8 people, a surcharge of 75 € is added to the price.
- Included: all transfers, all meals and picnics, accomodation, guide
- Excluded: soft drinks, alcoholic drinks, entrance fees for the hot springs in Ayder, entrance fees to historical sites and museums
Detailed Tour Programme
- Day 1: You will be met by your tour guide at Trabzon airport. Overnight at Trabzon.
- Day 2: Today we drive to Çamlıhemşin village at the foot of Kaçkar mountains. But before heading towards Çamlıhemşin we will visit the famous 5th century Sumela monastery carved into the rock. We will enjoy lunch at a local restaurant with local delicacies. In the afternoon we have an optional loop walk starting from the hotel to the lovely village of Ortan to admire its 150-200 years old wooden houses.
- Day 3: We drive up a rough dirt road to Pokut. We start walking from Pokut. First we get to the Hazindak summer village and then to Amlakit. The walk is mostly in the forest. We have dinner and overnight at the Ufuk Pansiyon at Amlakit.
- Day 4: We have another circular walk today. We walk up to the Kormukerec glacial lake and back to the pension. It will be a great day for wild flowers, especially orchids. Dinner and overnight at the same pension.
- Day 5: Today we walk from Amlakit to Palovit via Samistal Yaylası. It is a high, scenic walk with great views of the valleys on both sides if the weather is good. Stay at the same village house.
- Day 6: We walk up to Apevanak pass from Palovit then we descend to Yukarı Kavrun. On the way we will see Derebaşı Lake and have picnic lunch by it. We stay at Yukarı Kavrun for the night.
- Day 7: We walk up to Yildiz and Büyükdeniz Lakes in the morning. Picnic lunch by the Lakes and walk down to Çeymakçur Yaylası. We meet with the vehicle at Çeymakçur and drive to Ayder. Free time to relax at the thermal hotsprings.
- Day 8: Transfer to Trabzon Airport.
I just returned home from our trip to the Kaçkar Mountains, which was very well organized by Tuna and Hami, who did their best to make our trip enjoying and unforgettable. Just want to thank you, Tuna, Hami, and all the staff of Middle Earth Travel for all the efforts done and for the wonderful moments in Kaçkar. Looking forward to join you in another trip soon. Regards